Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Switch from QTS to QuTS Hero

Hi. I currently have a QNAP TVS-872XT. In the next few days, I will be reseting the system to change the RAID array configuration and add larger drives.

The TVS is an i5 with 64GB of RAM, 2 - 1TB SSDs for caching.

The system is part of my home lab, is used for backups, extra storage, some containers.

While I understand the minor differences between QTS and QuTS Hero, I have not been able to determine if it is beneficial to change over.

One of the things I have not been able to determine which would help is QNAPs support plans for both O/S. Is QTS being phased out, and all new hardware will only support QuTS?

Thank you.

-marc
Hi! QuTS Hero is QNAP's latest operating system designed for enterprise-level applications, whereas QTS is designed for home and small business users. The main difference between the two operating systems is that QuTS Hero provides more advanced features and functionality, such as support for ZFS file system, which can improve data integrity and overall system performance.

Regarding QNAP's support plans, as of now, both QTS and QuTS Hero are still being developed and supported by QNAP. It's unlikely that QTS will be completely phased out anytime soon, as it still serves an important market segment for QNAP.

If you're currently using your TVS-872XT for home use and basic applications, you may not necessarily need to switch to QuTS Hero. However, if you're looking to take advantage of the advanced features offered by QuTS Hero, such as improved data integrity and performance, it may be worth considering the switch.

Before making any changes to your system, be sure to backup your data and make a plan for migrating your data to the new RAID array.