Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology data consolidation

Hi,

I have collected data in different systems over 20 years, both from work and I do lots of video and pictures.

Unfortunately my storage has got out of hand and I have about 75TB of data spread over many HD. Most of them backups I guess that the original data is probably lower than 20TB.

I have now bought a Synology DS1821+ with 4 pcs of 14TB Red Plus HD.
How do I consolidate my data on to the Synology in the best way.
My thinking is to attach one drive at a time and then use a program or script to make a folder structure. The folder structure should be one folder for every file type and under each file type folder have sub folders for year and month.
Then recursive copy from the external drive to the folder structure on the Synology all files except if the file already exist on the Synology.
Do you think this is a good way of doing it or do you have a better sugestion?
Do you know any program or script that can do what I want?
BR Alexander Tollet, Big fan.
Thank you for your support this keeps us going.
You could technically keep those old drives as a backup (in case of fire/ flood / theft etc.)
You could then connect one bay one individually via USB and copy data over.
Otherwise, if you want to use these drives in a NAS, you will need to start with the smallest one if there is no backup to copy from. Then rebuild a RAID and copy data after every drive you add (might take ages).
USB copy is the fastest option. Otherwise, when you connect via computer and use GoodSync or another app, this will be 1GbE (os slower via WiFi) speed.

GoodSync is a software for file synchronization and backup, which can help you consolidate your data onto the Synology DS1821+ and keep it up-to-date with your external hard drives or other sources.

With GoodSync, you can set up synchronization tasks that copy files in both directions, from your source to your destination and vice versa. You can customize the file filters, so that only certain files or folders are included or excluded, and set up schedule or real-time syncing to ensure that changes are replicated immediately.

GoodSync supports a wide range of cloud storage services, such as Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and Amazon S3, as well as local and network folders. You can also use it to create backups of your files, with versioning and compression options, and store them in different locations for redundancy.

GoodSync has a user-friendly interface, with a preview window that shows the differences between the source and destination files, and allows you to review and approve the changes before syncing. It also has advanced features such as scripting, automation, and job chaining, which can help you automate complex workflows or integrate with other tools.

GoodSync is available for Windows, macOS, Linux, and NAS devices, including the Synology DS1821+. There is a free trial version, as well as paid licenses for personal and business use.