Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Question 2 of 2: I'm the dog who caught the car - now what do I do with it?

Continuing from my other submission:
Question set 2: Security. Do you have an article on securing a QNAP? What functionality comes with QTS 5 by default and which of those things should I use? I'm guessing I should install all 4 of the tools that show up under Security in the App Center - Malware Remover, McAfee, QuFirewall, & Security Counselor. Anything I need to know about configuring them? I don't want to enable QNAP's cloud service, so I feel like I should be able to lock things down pretty hard. If so, will their photo app still be vulnerable (I think that was the most recent hole)? Can I use a Norton subscription I already have instead of McAfee? If I haven't enabled the QNAP cloud service but haven't set up any security either, is my NAS already vulnerable?
Bottom line: You talk about QNAP giving us enough rope to hang ourselves with, so what should I definitely do and what lines should I not cross until I know more about them?
I'm sure I'll be sending more questions!
Securing your QNAP NAS is important to protect your data and prevent unauthorized access. QTS 5 includes several security features by default, including firewalls, anti-virus software, and network access controls. However, it's important to configure these features properly and to stay up to date with security updates.

QNAP's Security Counselor app provides guidance on security best practices and can help identify potential security vulnerabilities. Malware Remover and McAfee are anti-virus and anti-malware programs that can help protect against malicious software. QuFirewall is a firewall that can be used to control network access to your NAS.

If you do not plan to use QNAP's cloud service, you can disable it and configure your network access controls to limit access to your NAS from the internet. You should also change the default administrator password and create separate accounts with limited privileges for other users.

If you have a Norton subscription, you can use it instead of McAfee, but you will need to manually install it on your NAS.

It's important to keep in mind that no security measures are foolproof, and you should always have a backup strategy in place to protect against data loss.

https://nascompares.com/2022/10/21/qnap-...-your-nas/