Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Question 1 of 2: I'm the dog who caught the car - now what do I do with it?

Gents,
First THANKS for doing this! Watched many videos before choosing the QNAP. Those are all great. But now I need a video on setting up the pools and why you'd make various choices and specifically how to secure it. I've already created, deleted and recreated my storage pools twice and I think I'm about to do it again as I figure out what to do with the System volume.

So question set 1 of 2 is: What exactly does the (System) note on a volume mean and what kind of pool does that need to be on? Looks like it gets assigned to the first volume you create. Does it only exist there? Can you move it? I currently have it on a storage pool created out of the 2 SSDs because it sounds like something Bad would happen if it were lost, but I'd rather have it on only 1 and use the other for write caching to maximize transfer speed. But there also seems to be an option for read-write caching? What type of write caching is QNAP doing (w-through or w-back)?
Thanks!
The (System) note on a volume means that it is being used for the system partition, which includes the operating system and other important files needed for the NAS to function properly. This volume cannot be moved, as it is necessary for the NAS to function properly. You should not use this volume for caching or any other purposes, as it may cause instability or data loss if something goes wrong.

As for write caching, QNAP uses write-back caching by default. This means that data is written to the cache first and then to the hard disk drives. This can improve performance, but it also means that there is a risk of data loss if power is lost before the data is written to the hard disk drives. QNAP also supports write-through caching, which writes data directly to the hard disk drives without using the cache. This option is safer but may not provide as much of a performance boost.

When creating your storage pools, it's important to consider your needs and the type of data you will be storing. For example, you may want to create a separate pool for sensitive data that requires encryption. You may also want to consider using RAID configurations to provide redundancy and protect against data loss in case of a drive failure.