Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plex Server

I'm thinking of setting up a NAS as a Plex server and would love some help. I have a ton of movies (some in 4K) that I'd like to be able to stream to TV. I'm running Plex on an old Macbook right now and it's time for an upgrade. I'm thinking either the Synology DS220+ or QNAP TS-464 with Seagate IronWolf Pro drives in a RAID setup for redundancy, but you all are obviously the experts, so I'd love to hear what you think. I'm pretty good at technical setup, so I'm not too worried about that. Just want to make sure I get the right hardware. Not a requirement, but a system that's quieter would be a plus as well.
Both the Synology DS220+ and QNAP TS-464 are capable NAS devices that can run Plex Media Server and stream your movies to your TV. Both devices can be equipped with Seagate IronWolf Pro drives in a RAID setup for redundancy, which is a good choice for protecting your data.

In terms of hardware, the Synology DS220+ has a more powerful CPU, which can handle more simultaneous streams and transcodes. It also has an easy-to-use operating system and a well-designed mobile app. On the other hand, the QNAP TS-464 has a more upgradable hardware, with an option to upgrade its RAM and PCIe slots to support additional features such as a 10 GbE network card or NVMe SSD cache.