Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Time NAS buyer

Hello,
Please help me out, as a complete beginner NAS user, I'd like to know if it's a good idea to purchase my very first NAS.
My wife and I are both photographers and video makers, we have always stored our photos/videos/projects on external hard drives (like Lacie or SanDisk) but we have had troubles lately caused by disk failure or even slow performances.
I had this idea of upgrading to a NAS storage: I'm thinking on buying a TerraMaster F4-210(2G) with 4x4TB WD Red drives, used in RAID5 (so 12TB total capacity). We would like to store all our data on this server, and work directly from this server with our photo/video projects. I will most probably connect the NAS directly to our Mac Studio M1 10GbE port, we don't have a network, it's only me and her accessing the same computer in turns.

Do you think this is a good idea? Is this NAS capable of helping us out working fast enough for photo/video projects?

Thanks in advance
Best regards
While the TerraMaster F4-210(2G) can provide you with a cost-effective storage solution, I would recommend considering the Synology DS423+. It comes with a more powerful Intel Celeron J4025 processor, 2GB of RAM (upgradable to 8GB), and supports up to 64TB of storage capacity.

Moreover, the DS423+ comes with a wide range of features for multimedia content, including support for transcoding up to 2 channels of H.265/H.264 4K videos at the same time. It also has a suite of media applications, such as Synology Photos, Video Station, and Audio Station, that allow you to organize, share, and stream your photos, videos, and music across multiple devices.

The DS423+ also offers a variety of data protection options, including RAID 5 and 6, to safeguard your data against drive failures. With its 2x 1GbE LAN ports, it can easily connect to your Mac Studio M1 for fast data transfer speeds.
DS923+ for 10gbe support.