Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

VFX Artist needs NAS / DAS Help

Hello! I'm a motion gfx / vfx artist in need of expanding my storage.

Currently working on a 2020 imac with 4TB of storage but struggling to constantly stay on top of clearing data in between multiple jobs. Ideally looking for a DAS or NAS that has fast read / write speeds as I work with a lot of 4K and higher footage in DPX or EXR sequences. I primarily work on this 1 machine (currently in my bedroom) and i have an older imac downstairs and use dropbox to pass files between them. So a NAS would be good but not essential. Though i am looking at building a garden office so longterm a NAS might be good for working in and out of the house though the immediate need is to just expand storage but maintain high read / write speeds.

Appreciate any guidance on this.
Hi there! Based on your requirements, I would recommend the Synology DS923+ NAS with an AMD CPU, which supports NVMe SSD cache and has an optional 10GbE network upgrade card for fast data transfer speeds. This NAS is great for editing for a single user and can easily handle your large 4K and higher footage in DPX or EXR sequences. Additionally, the DS923+ has the ability to expand your storage with ease, which will allow you to constantly stay on top of clearing data in between multiple jobs. With its high read/write speeds and ample storage, the DS923+ is an excellent choice for your motion graphics and VFX work. Let me know if you have any further questions or if I can assist you with anything else!