Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS414 replacement

Hi,
I've been using Plex for a long time, and have never Transcoded (mainly because my DS414 can't handle it). The only streaming which happens is one person having remote access to my Plex from their tv. Other downside of the DS414 is that I can't run Docker on it. I use mainly SABNZBD, CouchPotato, Sonarr, Transmission as packages.

I've been looking at either DS423+ or DS923+ (can't seem to find the DS920+ in Belgium), I understand the downsides of both systems. I will use my existing disks for the time being (12TB in total) before upgrading to larger size disks.
As I can do without transcoding, as it seems at least, would the DS923+ be the only wise choice?
Based on your usage requirements and the fact that transcoding is not a priority for you, the Synology DS923+ could be a good option for you. It's the most powerful of the options you've mentioned, with an AMD CPU, NVMe pool, and 10Gbe support. It also has support for Docker, which you mentioned is important to you.

If you're able to use your existing disks for the time being and plan to upgrade to larger disks in the future, the DS923+ should provide plenty of capacity and performance for your needs. Additionally, the DS923+ is a newer model than the DS423+, which means it should be more future-proof and receive support and updates for a longer period of time.

Overall, the DS923+ seems like a wise choice for your usage requirements and desired features.
If you need transcoding go for ds423+.