Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cache in a Lockerstor 2 and memory question 2

Hello there. I'm going to purchase the Lockerstor 2 Gen 2 for Plex and file storage/backup for home. A couple fo questions please:
1) It come with 4 gb memory and I can add another 4 gb memory in the available slot, but can I / should I just put in a 8gb SO-dimm since the cost is not that much more. Not sure if I can mis those sizes.
2) For cache, I understand it may improve things but not sure about for my application. If I were to put in a couple of M2 NVMe's can I go small with something like 128 gb (inexpensive), or should I go larger?

Thanks / cheers
Scott
Hello! I can help answer your questions about the Lockerstor 2 Gen 2.

Yes, you can install an 8GB SO-DIMM instead of two 4GB SO-DIMMs. As long as the memory type and speed are the same, it should work just fine.

Whether or not to use a cache depends on your specific use case. A cache can improve performance for frequently accessed files, but may not provide much benefit if you're primarily using the device for file storage and backup. If you do decide to use a cache, a 128GB NVMe SSD should be sufficient for most users. However, if you have particularly large files or frequently access a lot of data, a larger cache may provide better performance.