Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Concurrent syncing between NAS, Cloud and laptops

Hello,

I have a laptop I use at home and a smaller laptop that I regularly travel with for work. So far I have kept nearly all my files on both laptops synced to Onedrive (predominantly) and secondarily to Dropbox and Google Drive. Everything is backed up separately so backing up is not an issue. I have now bought and setup a Synology DS720+. I would like to keep the above workflow but at the same time sync the cloud to the NAS. As my data is constantly increasing it will no longer be possible to keep all files on the laptops but I will use selective sync instead. The question is: what is the best way of doing the above:
1) Sync NAS to Cloud and Selective Sync laptops to NAS
2) Sync NAS to Cloud and Selective Sync laptops to Cloud
3) Any other option that manages concurrent sync between all 3 sources?

Keep in mind that my internet speed is 100/40 Mbps (lower at peak times) and that I travel 4-5 months per year so syncing remotely is very important.

Thank you!

There are a few different ways you could approach this, but here are a couple of options to consider:

Option 1: Sync NAS to Cloud and Selective Sync laptops to NAS
In this scenario, you would set up your Synology NAS to sync with your cloud storage accounts (Onedrive, Dropbox, and/or Google Drive) using their respective apps or tools. Then, you would use selective sync on your laptops to only sync certain folders or files to the NAS. This would allow you to keep a centralized copy of all your files on the NAS, while still maintaining access to a subset of those files on your laptops.

Pros:

Centralized storage for all your files on the NAS
Selective sync on your laptops allows you to manage the amount of data being synced and potentially reduce storage needs on your laptops
Syncing from the NAS to the cloud (rather than directly from your laptops) could help reduce the strain on your internet connection when syncing large files
Cons:

Depending on how you set up the sync, it may be possible to accidentally delete files from the NAS or cloud storage if you're not careful
Selective sync can be tricky to manage, and you'll need to be mindful of which files are being synced to which devices at any given time
Option 2: Sync NAS to Cloud and Selective Sync laptops to Cloud
In this scenario, you would set up your cloud storage accounts to sync with both your laptops and your Synology NAS. Then, you would use selective sync on your laptops to only download certain folders or files to each laptop.

Pros:

Access to your files from anywhere with an internet connection, regardless of which device you're using
Syncing from the cloud to your laptops can help reduce the strain on your internet connection when syncing large files
Cons:

You may end up with multiple copies of the same files in different cloud storage accounts, which could be confusing to manage over time
Depending on how you set up the sync, it may be possible to accidentally delete files from the cloud storage accounts if you're not careful
Ultimately, which option you choose will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you prefer to have a centralized copy of all your files on the NAS, option 1 may be the better choice. If you prefer to maintain access to all your files from any device, option 2 may be the way to go. Just be sure to back up your data regularly, and be mindful of which files are being synced to which devices to avoid accidentally deleting anything important.