Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Qnap drobo

Hi. Based on your site I bought a Qnap TS464 -thanks for the great review!
Can you help with 2 questions
1. What is the best way of getting the data off my Drobo 5n2 onto the Qnap (1Gb network). I could set up a switch with only those two devices plugged in if this would help. Filestation mounting, any ideas???

2. Do the M2ssd drives used for cache need heat sinks? The instructions suggest it’s optional, but I don’t want to ruin them if it gets too hot….. any thoughts???

Many thanks for your advice. To the amateur, your help is really needed! Smile

L
Congratulations on your new Qnap TS-464, I'm glad my review was helpful to you! As for your questions:

The best way to transfer data from your Drobo 5n2 to your Qnap TS-464 would be to connect them both to the same switch, as you suggested. Then, you could use Qnap's File Station app to transfer the files. Simply go to the File Station app, click on "Remote Connection" and then choose "Add Server" to add the Drobo as a remote connection. Once added, you can transfer files between the two devices through File Station's drag-and-drop interface.

Whether or not you need heat sinks for your M.2 SSD drives used for cache would depend on several factors, including the specific model of the SSD, the airflow in your system, and the workload you are placing on the SSD. While it's true that some SSDs may run hotter than others, most modern M.2 SSDs are designed to operate without additional cooling. That being said, adding a heat sink can potentially help dissipate heat and prolong the lifespan of the drive, especially if you plan on using it for demanding workloads. If you do decide to add a heat sink, make sure to choose one that is designed specifically for M.2 SSDs and that will fit your particular drive.