Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS and Hard Drive

I need a NAS for a small two-person office. A storage server. I have several older Synology Drives bought in 2014. I do not understand the new memory and new 2x800 Cache add on to Synology Drives. Nor do I understand how much memory I should buy. Also, are the Synology Enterprise HDD series better than the WD or other HDs? Please suggest a Synology Drive setup.
For a small two-person office, you generally do not need to upgrade the memory of your Synology NAS unless you will be using it for virtual machines or running Docker containers. In that case, you may want to consider adding more memory to the NAS.

As for the NVMe cache, it's typically recommended for larger offices with more than 10 users. If you only have two people in your office, you probably don't need the NVMe cache.

In terms of hard drives, the Synology Enterprise HDD series can be loud and may not be the best choice for desktop units. Instead, you might want to consider using Western Digital Red or IronWolf drives, which are designed for NAS systems and have a good balance of performance and reliability.

In summary, for your small two-person office, a Synology NAS with a moderate amount of memory and high-quality desktop hard drives like the Western Digital Red or IronWolf drives would be a good choice for your storage server.
I would look at ds420+ or ds923+.