Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrade from DS981+ to DS920+

Hi There

just read your comparisson between DS920+ and DS923+. Your knowledge is truly amazing

I am planning on upgrading from DS918+ to DS920+ because my 918 got fried by lightning.. the 4 x 4TB Seagate Iron Wolf NAS drives seemed to have survived. I took the drives and simply plugged them into an external HDD enclosure and attached it to a windows pc, just to test if the drives still work / spin up.

In doing so, i did not take note of the sequence in which the drives were sitting in the 918 Bays - I also cannot remember which RAID configuration i chose at the time of installing the 918 - However, of the 16TB drive capacity, i had 12 TB usable space, so that means it must have been RAID 5 i think.

My question to you is, will I be able to insert my 4 drives into the newer 920+ and retrieve the existing data on these drives? Will the operating system pick up the RAID configuration, even if I insert the drives in a different sequence? Or will I have to format these drives?

Regards
Yes, you can put those drives in any other plus series NAS in any order and the system should allow continuing where you left off.

I hope this helps.