Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Port trunking

Hi, I'm buying the QNAP TS-453E NAS, a 2GbE switch (QNAP QSW-1105-5T, and a Startech US2GA30 2.5GbE USB-A to eth adapter. My mobo is a Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 which has 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 connectors (1xType-A, 1xType-C).
1. To set up port trunking. My eth connections will be (a) PC to switch via mobo Killer E2500 LAN port (1 Gps), and (b) the above USB eth adapter, from the USB 3.1 Gen 2 connector Type-A to the switch. The switch will then have 2 cables going into the 2.5GbE ports of the NAS. Question is whether this is sufficient in order to use port trunking on the NAS. Also, is there a better way to do this?
2. In your review of the NAS, you mention "The USB ports on the QNAP TS-453E NAS are another USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gb/s port and two USB 2.0 ports. The 3.2 port can be used for 2.5/5GbE-to-USB adapters". Can I use this as a 3rd connection between the NAS & switch, or NAS and PC?
Thanks!
I would no bother with link aggregation. This is fairly complicated and might require Windows server OS. You can use 5gbe adapter via NAS USB and PC. Then link them directly or via 5gbe switch https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/product/qna-uc5g1t

I hope this helps.