Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New drives or new Nas?

Hi, i currently use a WD myCloud EX2 Ultra (2x4TB in Raid 1, 6 years old) that i use for backups and general filestorage for my family, myself and my friends (5 Users with seperate folders, secured with passworts and one public folder) wich means I need more storage to be future proof.

I don't need AI for pictures or Hdmi for playback to a tv, but maybe I would try out plex in the future since I have an external HDD (5TB) with some movies on it and I want to play them on a fire tv stick

Should I only upgrade the drives on the myCloud, or should I consider a new Nas?

Kind regards
Stephan
Upgrading to larger drives in your current WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra is one option that can give you more storage space. Before making a decision, it would be a good idea to test if Plex works on your current setup and check if it meets your performance needs for local use. If you plan to access your videos remotely, upgrading to a newer NAS such as the DS220+ with a faster CPU may be a better option, as it can provide better performance and stability for streaming. This way you can ensure that your setup meets your current and future needs, both in terms of storage and performance.