Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS advice

I have a bunch of movies, tv shows, files and photos that are a bunch of different drives (3 8TB's, 2 6TBs and backed up on 3 8TB's seperately). I am looking to build a raid 5 system to have redundancy. The main thing we use it for is to stream the media through iTunes to 4 AppleTV's in the house. I don't access any of it currently externally. I would like to possibly have it setup so my wife and daughter can save their photos they take on their phones go to the Backup as a cloud like option if possible. Just looking for advice if I should get something like a Synology 923+ (Can't find a 920+ for a reasonable price anymore), or is that overkill? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Yes, the DS923+ would be a great option for your home multimedia needs if you are only accessing files locally and not over the internet. Keep in mind that remote access is limited to 1080p videos. With the DS923+, you will have the option of 10Gbe LAN, NVMe storage pools, or caching. Additionally, the AMD CPU allows for up to 4 virtual machines, if you need that functionality. If you're looking for a more budget-friendly option, the DS420+ is also still available and offers half the performance, but would still be suitable for home multimedia use.