Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

which Synology Nas drive

Hi.
Great site and youtube channel first, which i found last year and have been trawling through it for news on synology diskstations.

I have a synology DS213J, new in 2013 which we use (2xWD 3TB HDD) for streaming and photos etc, which the family all use over the home lan via tv's and mobiles.

But this is now coming up to 10 years old i'm thinking of replacing it with some faster so i can also use it as a host for web design.

The 213J hardly has any memory and a single CPU so i'm surprised it can run what it is doing and the admin of it is painfully slow so puts me off using this for development.

So i was wondering out of the new diskstation's coming out in 2023 which you suggest i should go for now the 723+ and 223 are out, Maybe the 223 will suffice? I don't really want to spend over £400 on a 2 bay unit for home use. Would welcome your suggestions.

Thanks,
Paul
DS723+ is not a very multimedia friendly NAS. DS218/play is similar to lately announced ds223. But the new NAS has the latest graphics chip. No other significant changes.
DS220+ would have a similar performance regarding multimedia. But you would get few extras like virtual machines, docker, active backup for business app and RAM upgrade possibility.
Maybe this helps with your decision-making:
https://nascompares.com/answer/synology-...220-ds723/