Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First NAS recommendations

Hey!

I'm looking for recommendations about NAS & HDDs for it.

NAS:
- For home use
- 4-5 bay NAS
- Mostly used as a backup of personal photos, videos, and documents
- It would be great if I could use it to edit some 4k videos
- I might also want to set up a few VMs or a Dockers
- It would be a plus if I would be able to play 4k footage from NAS on my TV

HDDs:
- Preferably +10TB each
- The most important factor is the noise level. Right now I would have to put the NAS in the living room close to the TV

Do you also have any recommendations for RAM / SSDs

I was thinking about DS923+ and WD Red Plus 12TB, but I've read that Seagate Ironwolf (12TB too) are quieter so I'm leaning more toward them right now.
Would this setup be okay for my requirements and does it even make sense to put it in the living room, or it would be too loud anyway?

I don't have an exact budget, I just want to buy whatever is best for this case.

Thanks! Smile
Yes, ds923+ is a good choice for home use. Remote vide streaming is limited to 1080p though (ds920+ would be better for that purpose).
Both models can do everything on the list.
If you like Plex, I would consider getin 4GB RAM as minimum or rather 8-16 with virtual machines. NVMe cache would also help.
The noise will be annoying. Maybe you can place it somewhere else in the home using powerline adapters.
Thank you very much!

Probably I won't be able to put it anywhere else at the moment so I would have to deal with the noise somehow. Maybe I'll just set some working hours and turn it off when not needed or set up Wake on LAN. I saw your recent video where you said it doesn't have to be always on so I think I'll figure something out. If it will be way too annoying then I'll think about something else.

After watching many of your videos and reading a few articles I decided I'll buy a DS1522+ instead and put it in a RAID 6 just to be extra safe.

I still can't decide which HDDs to choose. I know I want something at least 8-10TB and preferably bigger ones, but I can't decide which ones to take because of that noise factor. I've read that those with higher volumes are noisier and also the pro versions are usually significantly louder.

I'm thinking about Seagate Ironwolf 12TB (or eventually 8TB) or the WD Red Plus ones (10TB, 12 TB, or 14 TB). Are there any big differences between them and are any of those quieter than the others? And maybe some other brands or there's not much difference between the pro versions?

And of course, I'll buy some additional RAM and NVMe drives. How big those NVMes should be for a cache? It's better to stay with Synology ones or maybe some other brands?

I know it's a lot of questions but I want to make sure that I'll buy the right thing. Thank you for all your help, videos, and articles. It's super helpful!  Big Grin