Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Home NAS

Hello, I recently purchased a Synology DS420+ NAS and filled all four bays with WD Red Plus NAS 6TB HDDs. Also bumped up the RAM to a total of 18GB given my need for a VM. Other NAS needs are basic file serving, Apple Time Machine backups, Plex Media Server to encode my small DVD library, and 1 or 2 Windows VMs. I got most of this setup and running fine, but what has disappointed me is the dysfunctional slow operation of the Windows VMs. I tried a Windows 10 and Windows 11 VM setup, and they are basically so slow, can't be used. Others on the forums have suggested using TeamViewer instead of a browser for RDP to the NAS. Only problem, my clients are all Macs and only PCs will work with TeamViewer to remote desktop to the NAS. I guess I didn't do enough research on the specs needed for VMs to run on the NAS. So I'm at a crossroads, do I return the DS420 while I still can and spend a bit more to be able to run the Windows VM on the NAS or abandon the VM idea on NAS? Thanks
It sounds like you may have underestimated the resources needed to run Windows VMs on your Synology DS420+. While the DS420+ is a capable NAS, it may not have the processing power and memory needed to run multiple VMs smoothly.

One option to consider is trying to optimize the performance of your Windows VMs on the DS420+ by tweaking settings such as memory allocation and CPU priority. Additionally, you can try to limit the number of VMs running at the same time to reduce the load on the system.

Another option is to try using RemoteFX feature in the Hyper-V Manager on your Windows VM, which is designed to improve the performance of virtualized graphics.

However, if you need a Windows VM for your work and it is important for the performance to be smooth, you may want to consider getting a higher-spec NAS or a dedicated server that has more processing power and memory to handle the load of running multiple VMs.

Alternatively, you can consider using a cloud-based solution, such as Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services, to run your Windows VMs. This would allow you to access your VMs from anywhere and would not require additional hardware.

You may also consider returning the DS420+ and look for a higher-spec NAS that supports running VMs more smoothly, the DS1621xs+ are some options that could work better for you.