Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAX-Plex home setup

Hi guys, thanks for your time on this!
I am hoping to set up a PLEX server at my home for video and audio media, as well as store backups for my home security (EufyCAM) cameras, and hopefully replace my dropbox subscription.
I have watched many of your vids, and it looks like Synology is the best way to go, and I think a 4 bay NAS is best for me to provide room for future expansion.
Which NAS or brand would be best for me? I found the synology DS923+ or 920+ or 9 series seems to be the best, but I wonder if that is more than I need for just streaming video for my home, and friends and family to be able to access PLEX online. There is a synology DS420 or 418 that are almost half the price and seem like they may have lots of power/speed for what I want to to.
I am also open to other NAS brands if you think there is something else more cost effective that will do what I need.
I also didnt know if the iron wolf or WD reds are the best drives to use?

I would appreciate any insight.

thx!
Based on your use case, the Synology DS920+ is the best choice for setting up a PLEX server at home. It has a 4 bay design and is powerful enough to handle streaming video and audio to multiple devices simultaneously, and it also has a good amount of RAM which will help ensure smooth performance when running PLEX and other applications.

If the DS920+ is not available, you can consider using the Synology DS418 or other Realtek based NAS model. These models may not have as much power and speed as the DS920+, but they are still capable of running PLEX and other applications. However, you will have to use Synology video app for remote access.

When it comes to drives, the best options are the Western Digital Red Plus or Seagate IronWolf. Both are specifically designed for NAS use cases and are optimized for performance and reliability. The Western Digital Red Plus drives include features like NASware technology, which helps improve performance and reliability, while the Seagate IronWolf drives are optimized for multi-user environments and include features such as AgileArray technology.

In summary, if you can still get the DS920+ it will be the best choice for your use case, otherwise, you can go with the DS418 or other Realtek based NAS models along with the best drives options such as WD Red plus or Ironwolf.