Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Split volume synology dx517

Hello everyone,

I have a Synology ds918+ (4x8tb) connected to a dx517 (2x16tb) with one volume spanning over both of them in SHR. When I first set it up that way I thought that was the best solution for me but now I both wish to eventually upgrade the ds918+ and the potential risks of having one volume over multiple hardware has always been a concern.

Now I need to expand the storage pool to archive last years data, but before I do that I would really like to separate the volume in to one on each hardware.

From what I understand I can never remove a hard drive from a Synology Nas. (For example my first thought was to move the 2 16tb drives to the ds918+, hotswap the remaining two 8gb to 16tb and then have enough space there to just remove the remaining drives of the dx517. In doing so Isolating the volume on the 918+)

Also as far as i know I can't jus "split" a volume either, correct? 

What would the my best option to stop having one volume spanning over 2 hardware and instead have to separate volumes on each?

The only options I can think of is either backing up all the data on hard drives and simply remove the existing volume. Then make 2 new ones.
Or go for the upgrade now, buying for example a ds1522+ filling it with 16tb hard drives, creating one volume, moving all the data there and later adding the dx517 and creating a new volume.

I'd love to hear your input. Bare in mind I have very limited knowledge of network but I gladly read up on it since the storage is a necessity in my work Smile
Yes, the easiest way will be for you to migrate to ds1522+ or a bigger NAS. Then all drives will live on a single NAS.
Otherwise, you need to reset the NAS and restore data from the backup.

I hope this helps.
Thank you very much ed for confirming that.

Am I correct in thinking that migrating to a newer unit always require me to fill the new unit with as much, or more storages pace then the current one I have, and then "transfering" my current data?
It wouldn't for example be possible to get a new 6 bay unit and just put my current 6 HDDs in there, with the data intact, in any way?

Thank you.
Yes, thats true. And it is easier to just move to 6 or 8 bay NAS without a need for transfer.