Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plex NAS Help

I've been casually in the market for a NAS for about a year. I thought I had settled on the DS920+, but ended up opting to wait to see what the 923+ would offer.

Thanks to your excellent videos, I'm now overwhelmed with choice.

I need help choosing a NAS (almost entirely for Plex) with the following needs:
- Access: It needs to serve varied devices (WebOS, Android, GoogleTV, and iOS) so likely need transcoding
- Drives: I'd like to load my existing drives (an 8 and 3TB) and upgrade in the future. 2-4 bays tops
- Noise: It's going to start it's life in our living room, so low noise is key
- Size: No bigger than the 920+ or 6704t
- Software: Needs to support Docker for Sonarr and Radarr
- Color: Black due to location above

I intend to maintain a cold backup via USB, so very limited RAID needs. Any ideas?
The Synology DS920+ and DS720+ are both good options for a multimedia NAS, as they are capable of transcoding media for a variety of devices. One of the advantages of these NAS devices is their plastic material, which helps to keep the noise level low. Hard drives are typically the loudest component in a NAS, and this is one reason why some people prefer to install the DSM operating system on an SSD instead. The DS920+ and DS720+ are both suitable for use with HDDs or SSDs.

If you are considering a newer model, the Synology DS923+ is also a good option. It is capable of transcoding media for remote access at a resolution of 1080p, and it can stream media locally at up to 4K resolution. It has a quad-core processor and 4 GB of RAM, which should provide sufficient power for transcoding.

Overall, the DS920+, DS720+, and DS923+ are all good choices for a multimedia NAS, and which one is best for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. I hope this helps!