Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

916+ upgrade or not

Hi

Need some advice on synology 916+ nas upgrade

I’m contemplating of upgrading from a 916+ I’ve happily utilised it for many years
Although its not tired but i dare not run any more docker containers on it. My memory is fine at 5gb available from 8gb, but cpu is moslty hovering between 40-60% as i’m running homebridge with quite a bit of devices and cameras also home assistant and adguard.

The rest of the NAS is just used as a 4k hdr streaming nas …..direct to a dlna device for nvidia shield streaming etc
No transcoding as i can always see plex getting very laggy and tired so didn’t bother

Wondering if I should do the same but been pit off by the processor, at the same time just about got familiar with DSM.

Is there an alternative synology with powerful enough processor for me to get another 5 years of getting cpu hammering or is it a big enough jump from 916- 923 or even 920 …. Bear in mind my 916-+ doesnt have any ssd cache
Will that make a big difference??

I can possibly just use the 916 as additional backup or is the any other useful methods of utilising the second nas although my business need aren't huge

Any advice is appreciated
If you're looking to upgrade your Synology NAS and you're running a lot of resource-intensive applications like Docker containers, homebridge, and home assistant, you may want to consider a device with a more powerful processor and more memory. The Synology DS923+ or DS920+ could be good choices for you, as both of these devices have faster processors and more memory than the DS916+.

The DS923+ and DS920+ both use Intel Celeron J4125 processors, which are quad-core processors with a base clock speed of 2.0 GHz. The DS916+ uses an Intel Celeron J3355 processor, which is a dual-core processor with a base clock speed of 2.0 GHz. The quad-core processor in the DS923+ and DS920+ should be able to handle resource-intensive tasks more efficiently than the dual-core processor in the DS916+.

In terms of memory, the DS923+ and DS920+ both have 4 GB of DDR4 memory, while the DS916+ has 2 GB of DDR3 memory. The DDR4 memory in the DS923+ and DS920+ should be faster and more efficient than the DDR3 memory in the DS916+.

Adding an SSD cache to your NAS can also help improve performance, especially if you're running resource-intensive applications. An SSD cache can help improve the speed of data access, which can be especially helpful if you're running applications that require a lot of read and write operations.

Overall, upgrading to a newer, more powerful Synology NAS like the DS923+ or DS920+ should give you better performance and more headroom for running resource-intensive applications. You can still use your old DS916+ as a backup or secondary storage device if you'd like.