Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrading from DS918 with plex transcoding?

Hi

I have a DS918+ (16GB RAM/16TB store). Currently used for Plex, website / Database with docker occasionally. I am using 80% storage

Initially was thinking just disks but am now thinking of setting up as a new NAS with the 918 becoming backup (currently using an old Netgear)

I was looking at DS923 but am put off by the transcoding. I am put off the DS920 for not being able to upgrade RAM. Some media may be H265 and my TV will not transcode client side. I don't have any 4k media (yet)...

Should I stick with Synology (which I like) or move to a different brand with the main use being Plex and storage?
Am I worrying about the transcoding too much or will the CPU manage a 1080p H265 server side OK?
I did watch your video on the DS922 transcoding and saw the buffering with 4k but what about 1080p?

I am overthinking all this?

Many thanks
Hi

I’ve got the same dilemma… i’m thinking the same upgrading from a 916+ I’ve happily used for years
Although its not tired but i dare not run more containers in docker on it. My memory is fine 5gb available from 8gb, but cpu hovers between 40-60% as i’m running homebridge and home assistant and adguard.

The rest of the NAS is just used as a 4k hdr streaming direct to a dlna device for nvidia shield streaming etc
No transcoding as i can always see plex getting very laggy and tired so didn’t bother

Wondering if I should do the same but been pit off by the processor, at the same time just about got familiar with DSM.

Is there an alternative synology with powerful enough processor for me to get another 5 years of getting cpu hammering or is it a big enough jump from 916- 923 or even 920 …. Bear in mind my 916-+ doesnt have any ssd cache
Will that make a big difference??
Any advice is appreciated
Yes, there is no problem with 1080p transcoding in Plex. Also for local use, you can stream even 4k.
DS920+ do allow RAM upgrades. We have also tested unofficial RAM which is cheaper.
Otherwise, CPU performance between 20+ vs 23+ is around 30% faster on new model. But not noticeable by the human eye.
Qnap alternative would be their 64 series NAS. If you are happy to learn new OS.

I hope this helps.
(01-03-2023, 02:02 PM)thanks EdQuestion is …. The difference between the 916+to the latest 923+is that too big and introducing nvme caching tooed Wrote: Yes, there is no problem with 1080p transcoding in Plex. Also for local use, you can stream even 4k.
DS920+ do allow RAM upgrades. We have also tested unofficial RAM which is cheaper.
Otherwise, CPU performance between 20+ vs 23+ is around 30% faster on new model. But not noticeable by the human eye.
Qnap alternative would be their 64 series NAS. If you are happy to learn new OS.

I hope this helps.