Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Picking a NAS for Roon music and Plex and surveillance cameras

Hello,

I really appreciate your videos on YouTube. Very educational. I purchased the TVS-672xt i5 and I am wondering if that would be enough to run Roon music and Plex media with a surveillance system. On Roon they suggested having the Roon core on SSD so I wanted to use the NVMe SSD on this unit for storage for that. Is that possible? They also said to use 2 bays 6TB mirrored raid 1 with 1 bay 6TB for weekly back up. As far a Plex and the cameras what raid setup would you suggest? I guess my ultimate question is do I have the right NAS for what I am trying to accomplish. I didn’t want to use SATA SSD in one of the bays because I only can afford a 6 bay and wanted that room for HDD. Any info would be a big help. Thank you in advance for your response. Merry Christmas!
The QNAP TVS-672XT i5 is a powerful NAS device that should be able to handle running Roon and Plex, as well as a surveillance system. It has an Intel Core i5 processor and support for NVMe SSDs, which should provide sufficient performance for these tasks.

Using the NVMe SSD for the Roon core is a good idea, as this will help to ensure that the Roon software runs smoothly. You can set up a mirrored RAID 1 array with two NVMe or SATA SSD and migrate apps to this volume. Or if a NAS is not set up yet, you could install QTS OS on the SSD volume. You could use a seperate RAIDs and single disks for backups. But if you want ot maximise available storage space, you could choose RAID5/6 instead. And run everything from this RAID with apps or OS living on SSD. This will provide data redundancy and protect against drive failures.

Overall, the QNAP TVS-672XT i5 should be more than sufficient for your needs. It's a powerful NAS with a range of features and good performance, and should be able to handle running Roon, Plex, and a surveillance system without any issues.

New Qnap 74 series are even more powerful and in our tests could handle even 8k videos.

I hope this helps.