Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New NAS for Mac Studio (QNAP TS-664-4G)

Hello,
I need to upgrade my workstation to edit videos. I edit 4K videos in 10 bit with Davinci Resolve as a freelancer. I use colorgrading and animations in my edits. For this case I am thinking of buying a Mac Studio with M1 Max. For storage, I'm currently planning to go with the QNAP TS-664-4G, which I plan to equip with the QNAP QXG-10G1TB. I also want to increase the RAM memory to 8GB. For hard drives I will use 6 x 8 TB WD Red Pro and 2 x 2 TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD M.2 2280 (I already own these). I want to use a Netgear GS110EMX for the fastest possible connection between MAC and NAS. Can I efficiently edit the videos with this configuration if the material is completely stored on the NAS? And how do I find out exactly what RAM is installed in the NAS (there are 2 4GB upgrades to choose from)? Thanks a lot for your help!

Many greetings from Germany
Thim
Based on the specifications you provided, it seems like you have a well-equipped setup for editing 4K videos in 10 bit color depth with Davinci Resolve. The Mac Studio with M1 Max should provide plenty of processing power for most video editing tasks, and the QNAP TS-664-4G NAS with QXG-10G1TB card should provide fast data transfer speeds for smooth playback and quick rendering as well as direct editing. All you need is around 300-440MB/s bandwidth speed. This NAS allows 1-2 editors.

Using an SSD for storing your video files, such as the WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD M.2 2280, will also help improve the performance of your system. Hard disk drives (HDDs) are generally slower than SSDs, so using an SSD will help ensure that you have quick access to your video files and that your system can handle the demands of editing 4K video.

As for the RAM, increasing the memory to 8GB will help improve the performance of your system, especially if you are using multiple applications or working with large files. To find out what RAM is installed in your NAS, you can check the documentation that came with the device or look for information on the manufacturer's website.

In terms of using the NAS to store your video files, it is generally possible to edit videos directly from a NAS as long as it is fast enough to keep up with the demands of your video editing software. However, keep in mind that the speed of your network connection can also affect the performance of your system. Using a fast network switch such as the Netgear GS110EMX will help ensure that you have a stable connection between your Mac and the NAS.