Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Multiple Volumes

Hi Guys, I really enjoyed your Synology Setup Videos. I have a few questions. I have the Synology DS220+ with 2 6TB Drives for a POC. My intended usage will be for PC Backup, Document, photo and video storage and as a media server (movies) as well as for surveillance storage. I move it between the house and Caravan for extended periods of time. Surveillance will of the installed NAS location maybe both if internet is available. There will be extended times without (Boondocking). I was going to use PLEX, but your video says it requires the internet. I have LANs in both the house and the caravan. I plan on using it in Raid 1 configuration.
Q1: What is your recommendation for a Media server app that does not require Internet. Q2: Should I have multiple volumes? 1 for surveillance storage and 1 for everything else? Q3: Will multiple volumes require duplication of software?
Thanks.
If you have Plex pass, you can use sync option that allows watching videos offline. It downloads selected videos to your mobile device. Synology DS Video app does the same thing for free.
Another option is to have a NAS in both locations and let them sync to each other.
Multiple volumes are not required in home setup. This is for business to limit storage space for departments. If you have multiple volumes, nothing is duplicated.

I hope this helps.