Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Attaching SSDs in Synology drive caddy question

Question 
Hi all. I’ve been using Synology for years but haven’t used SSD until now. When using SSD in a synology I have come across an issue. I have watched many NCvideos but never seen Nick put an SSD in a caddy, screw it in then attach the plastic hard drive retainer strips. My question is do you attach both retaining plastic strips to the caddy when using SSD? Due to the position of the screwed-in SSD, the top retainer fits ok, but the bottom doesn’t. One of the two holes for the retainer is obscured by the SSD. Thanks in advance. Great resource you’ve created by the way!!
It's generally not necessary to use the plastic hard drive retainer strips when installing an SSD in a Synology NAS. The SSD should be secured in the caddy using the screws provided, and the caddy itself should be held in place by the mounting brackets inside the NAS.

If you're using a caddy that has been designed specifically for SSDs, it may not have mounting holes for the plastic hard drive retainer strips. In this case, you can simply skip this step and secure the caddy using the screws provided.

If you're using a caddy that has been designed for hard drives and you're unable to use the plastic hard drive retainer strips, you can try using additional screws to secure the caddy in place. Just be sure not to overtighten the screws, as this can cause damage to the SSD.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.