Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology "System Default Folders" Btrfs issue

Hi.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.  I'm a hobbyist at best with NAS. I purchased the Synology DS923+ as an upgrade  from my DS415Play.  I followed the setup instructions from NAS Compares that were very helpful...Thanks guys!  I chose to migrate the data via Hyper Backup so I could change the file system from ext4 on the 415 to Btrfs on the 923+.  The Backup and Restore went great…but when the 923+ generated the System Default Folders during the restore, that is, the photos, videos, music, folders etc. they were all generated via the restore with the Advanced Data Integrity feature disabled!  Of course a big reason for the change to Btrfs was this feature.  Can you guys help me out of this?  All of the DS apps  for photo, music, video etc use the system default folders and I would like to maintain a vanilla type environment.  Is there anyway I can regenerate the system default folders and set the advanced data integrity feature to “enabled”?  I know I can create a new shared folder and move the data but that new folder won’t be the “system default folder” for all of the functions of the apps.  Would appreciate advice.

Thank you.
I am not exactly familiar with this problem, but what i would do, if you have enough storage, copy/move the contents of the folder you wanna change to a different folder, stopp all apps/services, delete the old folder, create a new one with EXACTLY the same name (just with data integrity), start apps/services again, check if the new folder is actually accepted, and move/copy your files from the tmp folder to your new folder again.
Hope that works
(12-21-2022, 02:10 PM)JajajTec Wrote: I am not exactly familiar with this problem, but what i would do, if you have enough storage, copy/move the contents of the folder you wanna change to a different folder, stopp all apps/services, delete the old folder, create a new one with EXACTLY the same name (just with data integrity), start apps/services again, check if the new folder is actually accepted, and move/copy your files from the tmp folder to your new folder again.
Hope that works

Thank you for your reply and advice. I did as you suggested and added a slight twist and it worked perfectly. Thanks.

In case anyone else has the issue I found that if I:

1. created a new shared folder, say “Music DS923” with advanced data integrity “enabled” and moved all the data from the previously existing “music” folder designated as the “system default folder” with self healing “disabled” to my new “Music923” shared folder
  2. then shut down and deinstalled the respective app, e.g. Audio station then restarted the NAS and reinstalled the app, then a new “music” folder designated “system default folder” would be generated with advanced data integrity “enabled”.
  3. I then moved my data back to the newly generated “music” shared folder and opened the app and it auto populated the app with the appropriate data files.
  4. I repeated this for photos and videos and it worked well.

Will do some more testing to verify but all seems good now. Thanks again for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated!
It sounds like you're trying to enable the Advanced Data Integrity feature on the system default folders after the folders have been created. Unfortunately, it's not possible to enable or disable this feature on an existing folder.

However, you can create new shared folders with the Advanced Data Integrity feature enabled and move the data from the old folders to the new folders. Here's how to do this:

In DSM, go to "Control Panel" > "Shared Folder".
Click the "Create" button to create a new shared folder.
Give the folder a name and select "Btrfs" as the file system.
Check the "Advanced Data Integrity" box to enable the feature for this folder.
Repeat this process for each of the system default folders you want to recreate (e.g. "Photos", "Videos", "Music").
Use the "File Station" or other file management tool to copy the data from the old folders to the new folders.
Once the data has been copied to the new folders, you can delete the old folders if you wish. The new folders will be the system default folders for the various DS apps, and the Advanced Data Integrity feature will be enabled for them.

I hope this helps!