Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Questions about the DS1522+

Hello!

I had a few questions and was hoping to chat with someone about a few things. I was looking at getting the DS1522+ Synology NAS. BH has a deal for $1650 with 60TB Seagate Ironwolf drives.

With the 923+ 4 bay coming out, should I get that or is the DS1522+ still good? I didn't see much difference.

I am a wedding photographer and with this deal on that NAS, it seems like the 5 Bay is what I should get.

Questions:
- Is there any benefit of the 923+ over the 1522+? They seem almost the same except the 1522+ has an additional bay, comes with 8GB ram.
-If I have that NAS, would I want to get 3rd party RAM and m.2 drive?
-I was looking at Samsung Pro m.2.
- with the m.2, should I get the one with the heatsink? Will it fit and is that OK?
- For the RAM, what would you recommend and does the RAM benefit with the a heatsink too?
- If I use two m.2 drives in the NAS, can I use one for NAS cache and another for storage pool?
THANK YOU!!!
Yes, the only reason tp get DS923+ is the ability to create NVMe storage pool which is handy for video editors. Otherwise people simply use SSD in HDD bays for DSM and apps.
Having this extra bay and bigger capacity RAM does save some money in the long run. o need for RAM upgrades or expansion boxes.
NVme cache is not very useful unless you run VM/docker or have a web server. But you can use Samsung with/without a heatsink. Both will be OK.
If you have ds923+, you can use one SSD for read cache (write cache requires 2x SSD) and another for storage. No other NAS do this.

I hope this helps.