Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Solution for multi editing by 3-4 mac Studio edit stations in small production company

Good day! I need an expert opinion! We have a small film production. We have an office and 4 Mac Studio in it. We want to install a NAS in the studio so that we can edit from it IN PARALLEL on all 4 computers, accessing the same volumes/files from several editing stations at the same time. We plan to make a local 10G network. I want to buy QNAP TVS-h1688X-W1250-32G for this purpose. But some sellers in stores assure me that this is an amateur level device and it will not allow mounting simultaneously from several mounting stations, and advise me to buy QSAN XCubeNAS XN8012R which in my opinion will not justify its money because it has weaker characteristics (we also do not have a server rack now). What do you advise in this case? I want to find the best solution for my money and not let my fellow editors down so that they don't suffer from bugs later.
You would definitely avoid that shop. Qnap TVS-h1688X is their most powerful NAS alongside new 74 series. Not only you can edit simultaneously 4K but even do some 8K editing.
You can connect as many users as you want via SMB. Only ISCSI is limited for a single connection.
You can use each 10GbE port on your NAS for around 2-3 editors. You can connect directly or via the switch. If you have a smart switch you could combine multiple 10GbE ports (if not connecting directly to a PC), or go for 25Gbit card + switch.

I hope this helps.