Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP TVS-h1288X Inital Set Up

Hello!

Thank you in advance for your help.  I am relatively a nube at this level of a NAS.  I currently have a 24TB WD EX4100 that runs my plex.  I needed more space and a more powerful NAS to run my immense 4K and 1080 library...so I went big.

I purchased 6 WD RED Pro 16TB HDDs.  I am about to get 2 more for a total of 8 WD RED Pro 16TB HDDs.  I have not purchased any SSDs for SSD cacheing.  

Any here is where my questions come into play...for the set up.

I am only using this NAS for Plex.  I have an immense 1080 library (over 2k in titles) and a growing 4K library.

- Should I get some SSDs for caching?  What is the benefit?
- I am going to set up my RAID to 5.  (I will have a secondary backup of all files on my old NAS - so no RAID 6 needed)
-- DO I need pool guaranteed snapshot space?  
-- Do I need overprovisioning?

I am watching all of your videos to learn about this technology and options....but I just can't deterimine what woudl be best for juts use with PLEX.  Also, it both options burn up usable storage space...

Any thoughts, recommedations, and suggestions would be appreciated!  

Thanks!
Great choice. The 88X and 74 series Qnaps are great for Plex.
There is no need for SSD caching. This will improve things like transcoding.
RAID5 will give you the redundancy of one drive. As a backup this is OK.
Snapshots and overprovisioning is for business use. This allows roll back previous versions similar to time machine backups. Nothing can benefit Plex.
Deduplication would find identical or very similar files and save some space. Again probably not for Plex.

I hope this helps.