Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PnP NAS

I'm searching for my first NAS.
The main use (grouped by imp.) will be:
- ! Plex server (videos mostly in 720p)
- ! Shared family (LAN) storage
- Cloud storage (now using google drive)
- Photo storage (now using google photos)
- other features (like webserver etc.) are interesting but not a must

I was wondering between QNAP TS-464 and Synology DS920+.

I watched the dedicated review at nascompare (btw you'd reach greater audience if you try to structure and cut the reviews) and was trying to findout which software budle I'd like most.
I was thinking to go with QNAP because of QuMagie and the more open approach

BUT looking at user reviews I got 2 MAJOR concerns:
1. Apps (photo, drive, etc) look nice but have poor reviews - people are complaining about major bugs and that they're not actually usable!

Is all that is gimmics I should ignore if I value my time?

2 SECURITY: Looking at reviews - It's hell for QNAP (although Qnap fans argue that ut's common for NAS). Even at QNAP site they tell you must putt off internet, stop all services even disable PPnP, and many more.
Which again would mean all is gimmics you can't use beacuse of security!

I'm not sysadmin and don't want to become one.
I'm home user (even if techy) and want to make my life EASIER not harder!

My question (probably important for all 99% home users): should I stay away of QNAP, buy Synology or even forget the whole idea of using ANY other goodies apart from pure NAS (read/write hdd atached to LAN)?

Yes, if you want to make your life easier then Synology will be a better fit. In fact, I find WD NAS the safest and easiest to use. But WD do not have their own google drive alternative.
Synology Photos app will be less buggy and their sync app is comparable to Dropbox level.

Qnap will require securing it https://nascompares.com/2022/10/21/qnap-...-your-nas/
Apps are good, but require little bit of IT knowledge.

I hope this helps.