Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best NAS for video editing and NFT collections

Hey! I create online classes, YouTube videos, Instagram content, and NFT art. Some of my projects reach 100–200 GB in file size. And I’m not yet recording everything in 4k. I have a 4 camera set up. I currently have a Synology DS216+II with 4TB capacity. The one drive mirrors the other. It’s full now. And I’d like to know what you’d recommend I do now—upgrade to 2 x 8TB drives, or upgrade to something bigger and faster?

I’ve been moderately happy with the performance of the Synology DS216+II, but it can be slow at times, and even slower when trying to access it from out of the office. I use Mac, and haven’t found it too bad, but feel like there could be something better that works for Mac.

I mainly use my NAS to store files, but at times need to access the files and do editing from the NAS.

We’re a 2 person studio. I’d love your advice!
Maybe you could consider a NAS with a faster LAN. If your MAC has 10GbE port, you could go for ds923+. DS216+ is quite slow. Bigger drives will not improve performance. SSD would, but capacitors and price is not attractive. DS923+ in near future will also allow NVMe boot. Now they have enabled NVMe volumes. So you can have SSD and HDD storage pools.
DS920+ is and older NAS with 1GbE. If new model seems expensive, you could go this route. Dual LAN.

I hope this helps.,