Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Purchase First NAS

Hello
I Looking to purchase my first NAS system mainly for Photography, storing and browsing RAW & Process Jpeg files.
I have a MacBook Pro M1 1TB o and store everything on Icoud in just one year the iCloud has taken up over half my available storage space.
I am exploring Synology DS420j 4 Bay Desktop NAS and initially populating it with 2 x Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB NAS Hard Drive 3.5" 7200RPM 256MB Cache. With the intent of being able to save up for 2 larger drives at a later stage.
I have seen on your videos that NAS drives are often loud.
I have recently purchased TP-Link TL-PA7027P KIT AV1000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit, Data Transfer Speed Up to 1000 Mbps, I ahve one plugged into my router and the other in the upstairs office (box room) would the NAS be best placed up in office connected via LAN cable to the Passthrough Powerline ?

Would this set up future proof me for quite a while?

Thanks in advance
Alex

DS420j is a very basic NAS, but it will work just fine with photo backups and also videos.
If you use Pro drives, they will be fairly loud. WD Red or Ironwolf slower spinning drives will be quieter and still good for your setup.
Preferably you should connect your NAS to a router directly. But if for some reason you want to keep it elsewhere, the powerline adapter will help you with that.
If you needed more future-proof system, go for plus series model such as ds420+.

I hope this helps.