Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology 1522+ VS 1621+

Hello Gentlemen,
I appreciate your contribution in the field of data storage.
Your content has tremendously helped me thus far (by far more than any other single source), but now I am in a predicament: Synology DS1522+ vs DS1621+.

I’ll make this quick as I’m sure you have more interesting things, perhaps the world cup, than replying to messages.

I thought I had this in the bag and was going to make a purchase of the 1621+ during Black Friday, but there’s more to it between these two servers that I just don’t know which would serve me best. Let me explain what my needs are.
I will initially run one NAS with SHR2, four Seagate IronWolf Pro (probably 16TB each if I still catch them on sale). I will initially fill them up with 5TB of data. I am a photographer, graphic designer, videographer and am now studying in grad school majoring in IT and security. I want to have an organized catalog of family and client work; within each separate folders of respective dates. Anyway, I will want to store my images or video clips on the NAS and work from them. Not right after the shoot, but say sometime down the road. Which will have an edge in render times of 60 megapixel images, 1080p / 4K video clip? I gave this as an example thinking it’s more demanding than writing my research paper from the NAS. Also, would a 10Gbps connection improve anything for me, or would the money be better spent on more cache or RAM?
I will start with four users (family), aside from the root. I am the only one who will edit images and videos, others will back up their data and view our memories.
I would like to share content, such as edited images and videos with my family and clients.
Eventually, I’ll back up everything, and buy another NAS to have each sync on a daily basis. At the moment I think that will be a viable option–but I am open to your suggestions.
So that’s it in a nutshell. I am torn between the two servers, and would like to hear your opinion, or maybe you would recommend something else? The 920+ or 923+ would still support SHR2 and be future-proof, but maybe that’s too much to consider and I’d be better off with a bigger NAS.
THANK YOU very much.
All of these NAS come with Ryzen CPU. DS1621+ had two additional cores and therefore is a better choice if you need things like virtual machines, docker and other CPU demanding apps.
For simple storage, you coan use dual core models like ds923+/ 1522+. These dual core models are practically the same NAS.
I would recommend using 10GbE instead of upgrading RAM. The hard drives inside are able to give you 500-700MB/s but 1Gbit LAN only allows 100MB/s speeds.
Having this speed would allow things like 4k editing and faster backups.

I hope this helps.