Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS to buy?

I would like to install a home NAS system for several reasons: RAID, cloud file access, Photo management (like Google Photos), video surveillance recording and finally video and streaming services. This will be for home use but will need more power than the average home use NAS. Thanks so much.
DS920+ (might not be available for much longer) is an excellent choice or Qnap TS-464.
These are the flagship models that have no limitations on apps you can install.
Built-in transcoding chip is great for multimedia and surveillance as weel as any other multimedia.

I hope this helps.
(11-29-2022, 04:52 PM)ed Wrote: DS920+ (might not be available for much longer) is an excellent choice or Qnap TS-464.
These are the flagship models that have no limitations on apps you can install.
Built-in transcoding chip is great for multimedia and surveillance as weel as any other multimedia.

I hope this helps.

Hi Ed. I hope it doesn't go against the rules me jumping on and asking questions - if so, I can repost in a new thread?
I am a home user and am having a debate on what NAS system to buy. 
I am split between Synology and QNAP - though the former seems (from what I've read around the subject) to be a bit more secure and advanced in the sense of photo AI and photo app (an app which backs up to the NAS when out and about etc) ...
I thought about the 920+ as it has integrated graphics but as its 3 years old, I thought about QNAPP 464 model because it's newer and seems to have better hardware -- but because of the above and in my probably very amateurish understanding that QNAP isn't 'as good' or 'well-rounded' as Synology I explored the 923+ ... however because of its lacks of integrated onboard graphics , it has put me off - though the upgradability of it (and it being newer) draws me to it .. therefore I am in a debate, 920+ or 923+...
I see on some threads and NAS compares videos that Plex Server (Whcih I'm not sure I would actually use) may struggle with demanding transcoding; therefore 920+ is better. that said; if I'm not going to use a media server - why not get the 923+ .... this is where I get more stuck .. 
Another thing I'm not clear about; would the 923+ struggle with tasks like indexing and AI / facial recognition of photos or would be better?
does the 923+ having expandable ECC memory, the potential for higher LAN speeds and also SSD drive outweigh the dual-core AMD without integrated graphics ... I seem to think surely Synology wouldn't have a NAS that has such a chip set that would struggle / not perform with software that the very system is highly associated with, would they ?
Primarily I want a machine that is a backup of photos/videos etc and will sync my photos when out. 

this seems slightly all over the place; I have info overload ... any help would be gratefully received....