Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for Truenas Core

Hello,

I had been planning on building out an 18u rack and populating it with some diy low power and quiet servers. Then I had a baby and my budget shrank drastically. I'm fairly competent with Enterprise level hardware and software, the management of and the upkeep of, but my knowledge in consumer devices is much more shallow.

I stumbled onto your videos on installing TrueNAs on various desktop NAS's and instantly thought this could work.
I'd like one that has onboard HDMI out already, quad core, RAM that is expandable 16GB or 32GB and 4 bays. I've found many that have some of these features but not all. Some of the hardware decisions the differing NAS companies have made perplex me as well, 10GB networking but only 8GB RAM.

All this to ask what you find to be the most capable 4 bay NAS to run TrueNAS Core on.

Thanks,

Nick
Yes, you could do DIY NAS or get a cheap Terramaster NAS and install TrueNAS or Unraid.
HDMI interface is not the best out there, DLNA is a better choice and more user-friendly.
If you do need HDMI output, FreeNAS will not work. You will need to get any asustor or Qnap NAS with this port.
I hope this helps https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/?conditions=2-1