Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plex Media Server

Hi there,

I wonder if you can help me. I’m looking to replace an old existing desktop workstation that I’ve been using as a Plex media server for the last 6 years. I’ve got quite a collection of 4K HEVC video that’s spread across 2x 12 tb Iron Wolf HDs and 18tb Exos drive. A lot of the time I access this media remotely, on a connection with potential upload speeds of 200mb. I’m sure you’ve worked out that I have no idea what I’m doing. I’ve done my best to research the most appropriate NAS that I can scale over time, and don’t particularly want to ideally make use of the HDs that I have currently have. I’m looking for a NAS that I can keep adding to, that will not need replacing in the next 5 years, and can handle multiple 4K streams and will backup on its own. I’d be really grateful if you could share any advise with me. Thank you in advance.

Matt
If you need one the fly plex transcoding then TVS-473A (6/8 bay also available) with GPU card installed.
If you are happy to use offline transcoding or streaming only locally at home then DS920+ would be a good choice.
Either way, you can strat with 2 drives and keep on adding extra drives when you need more storage space.
Synology also allows different-size drive mixing.

I hope this helps.