Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

which is a better RAID for Plex streaming

Greetings,
I just want to let you know that I am a big fan of your YouTube videos and I never imagined that someone has many videos in this niche market and I applaud you for that.
I have been planning to get a NAS since 2017 and one thing that you should know about me that I like to future proof (over kill) anything that I buy.
From the beginning of the pandemic, I started converting all of my friends and family's old DVDs and VHS libraries to soft copy and sharing that with them through Plex on my gaming PC, and I already filled my 8TB Seagate barracuda with about 20% of libraries.
Then my pc started to be very slow in games when someone streams on Plex.
Therefore, I do not want to invest in any additional storage if my PC is going to be that slow.
And I’m planning to buy the new Qnap TVS874 (8x16TB RAID 10) or TVS674 (6x16TB RAID 6) and my question is which is a better RAID for Plex streaming that can handle more users, and I want your advice regarding the whole thing 
Thank you very much.
Abdulrhman
Yes, Plex transcoding will slow down your PC. It is better that NAS does the transcoding job and not your gaming PC.
RAID itself will not change the performance of Plex transcoding. But the CPU/ GPU will.
Just like a PC, your NAS will need to have decent hardware. To be able to transcode 4k in Plex, you will need either Xeon based model like Qnap 88X series (tvs-h1288x etc) or a dedicated GPU card that can be installed in 88x series or 73A series (tvs-873a etc) NAS.

I hope this helps.