Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Home Setup Options

I am replacing some old hardware and attempting to optimise my home backup and storage setup. I am an Apple user.

I have an old DAS (Thunderbolt) RAID 1 drive which stores all my documents, photos and videos etc.
I use Backblaze to backup the DAS and my computer's system drive to the Cloud. The cheap $7 monthly subscription however only backs up DAS, not NAS drives.
I use Apple's Time Machine software to back up my computer's system drive to an old NAS.
I have 1Gb ethernet and a 50/20Mbps internet connection.

I am thinking of replacing the DAS with a single (larger) Thunderbolt 3 drive, and the old NAS with the Synology DS920+ 4 bay or DS1522+ 5 bay.
I want the NAS to be large enough to backup everything (ie my computer and DAS.
My computer has a 2Tb SSD system drive.

I have started doing 4K video editing and now realise how large the raw footage files are (about 700Mb/minute).

I am thinking of upgrading to:

1. A Thunderbolt 3 (non-RAID) 10-12Tb DAS for storing all my documents etc plus video files. This (and my computer's system drive) would automatically get backed up to the Cloud using Backblaze.

2. A Synology DS920+ 4 bay or DS1522+5 bay NAS to locally backup my DAS and computer using Time Machine. I understand that the NAS needs to be at least twice as large as the DAS and computer combo (ie about 20-30Tb).

I'm assuming the NAS needs to be totally dedicated to Time Machine otherwise the backup strategy doesn't work.

I'll be using a couple of 1Tb portable SSD's for video editing that I'll manually backup. The permanently attached DAS is for media archiving and general documents.

Does this make sense? Any thoughts on sizes or alternative configurations? I think I should be using RAID 5 or SHR-1.
Yes, this sounds like a plan.
Backing up NAS to the cloud such as Backblaze might be expensive compared to DAS box backups. People use Linux virtual machines on a NAS to get around this. But it is not as straightforward. You could use DS1522+ for everything. Video editing, time machine backups and automated cloud backups. Speeds will be limited to 700MB/s, but this is all you need for 4k editing and backups. Otherwise, Thunderbolt external drives will give you faster performance.
You do not need to fill all bays at the start. Do it gradually. This tool might help https://nascompares.com/answer/hdd-price-per-tb/
SHR1 is all you need.

I hope this helps.