Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need a NAS or DAS

Need a storage for my personal videos, photos, documents. Need to have 10GBE if it is NAS. I can go with DAS but it needs to be faster than usb 3.1 gen 1. I already have 4 Seagate exos 18tb new drives. I tried DS920+ but it is simply did not do a good job with 4K videos and i hated the 1gb rj45. I have 5gbe high speed internet and tplink 10gbe switch and laptop and desktops with 10gbe ethernet ports and thunderbolt. I looked at DS16..xs+ but it is AMD which lacks the media encoding....and DS920+ missing 10GBE...

what do you suggest based on this ? my main goal - absolutely zero data loss and speed. I can just get a DAS and setup a shared folder on my home netwrok as i do not need all the NAS fancy features...but i need the ability to expand in the future higher capacity HDDs when needed and cheaper ( when it becomes cheaper in future)
Yes, NAS is easier to expand and upgrade. I would rather look at Qnap TS-464 or TVS-473A (with GPU card upgrade).
These support 10gbe upgrades and have multimedia support.
DAS boxes that are faster then 5Gbit/s are Thunderbolt based models from Pegasus, Areca etc.

I hope this helps.