Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New NAS

Hi
You have made my day when I saw on your site ask us anything and we will help you choose a NAS.
Wow what a service exactly what I need at the moment.
My set up-:
Mac Studio M1 Max
64 GB memory
2TB storage
Caldigit TS4

I would like to replace my Drobo D5 as I am getting worried its a bit long in the tooth and have already had my N5 go down!!
I run a small photography business and wish to store all of my images on a NAS and then back up to various other places such as cloud and other external had drives. I have watched various videos of yours and have gained a bit of knowledge but still need help.
To make my editing quicker I put all of my RAW images from my Nikon Z9 on my internal hard drive and when the job is finished transfer them over to my Drobo D5. I believe that this is the quickest way as direct from the Drobo being old tech and connection would be slow. Oh I use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.
Am I correct in saying that with my 10 Gigabit Ethernet or my Thunderbolt 4 ports I could get a NAS connect to Mac and have it work just as fast or almost as fast as the internal hard drive. If that is the case that's what I think I would like if my budget allows. This of course would save the double transfer card to Mac then Mac to Drobo.
The files from my Nikon Z9 are fairly large at 35 MB on average so after a weekend shoot I would normally have about 4 to 5 hundred GB of images. Oh I'm a sports shooter!!
As I mentioned I also have a Caldigit TS4 for my external connections so if that isn't going to cause a bottle neck I have ports on there. I do plug my ethernet cable from the virgin modem straight to my Mac but have a 2.5 ethernet port on the Caldigit. I haven't tested if there is a speed difference but will get round to it. At the moment I have 500 down and 40 up from my provider Virgin. I don't believe I need as much as 500 down but I do need as much as possible upload as I send loads of images to my website. So yes when you advise me of the perfect NAS I also need to know where to plug it in!!!
I think I have covered all the points and also supplied you with an overall of my system and needs to save you having to ask questions and to much backwards and forwards as you time is valuable. On that note I have just donated £10 I hope that is enough as I don't want free advice only good advice that's why I came to you.

Cheers

Graham

************UPDATE*****************

I think I have used the wrong name!!! NAS I don't mind if its a NAS or DAS or what ever you advise.

Cheers