Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

tvs-h874-i5-32g

I am looking to buy this unit. I have already bought 5 16TB drives built for NAS use.

With the understanding that the first Storage Pool that you create is where the Applications get installed, I was intending to buy 2 1TB NVME m.2 drives to mirror. However, I initially was interested in have the m.2s provide caching. Which is more important? The applications on SSD or the SSD being used for caching

I will be using this unit for multiple purposes, such as an iSCSI for my Desktop to replace the RAID5 I have in the non-Server desktop (lost a drive 1 time and it took 30 days to rebuild, ugh.) I also look to provide a thin volume for each of my family to use as an off-site backup. I will only do this if they can be created where I have no access to their data. Is that possible?

Should I make the RAID5 be with 4 drives and have the 5th set as a hot-spare? (I think it will be years before my family and I could use up this much space. If I find us getting close to it, could I add an additional drive and expand the RAID5?

Do I have to have a router to handle the 10GBe? Or can I plug directly from a 10GBe NIC on my desktop to the 10 GBe NIC I install on the unit and have the unit connected to the general network via the 1 GB port?

Sorry that the questions are not in a list format. I typed them as I thought through what I wanted to type. Feel free to extract the questions when placing on the Q&A Forum.

Thanks, and I watch your Youtube shows all of the time.

Joe
Yes, this is one of Qnap best performing NAS models.
People of then ask if should they use SSD for cache or storage. With iSCSI I would rather create a storage pool on SSDs. But you could also allocate one or two 3.5inch bays for SATA SSD. This would be fast enough too.
NVMe caching in real terms is only useful if you have a business environment with many people uploading random files or downloading commonly used files.
Caching is used when you need more storage space than you can afford to host on SSD media.
I would create NVMe storage pool and install OS and apps on this volume. Then also create a separate volume on these NVme for Iscsi access.
If you plan on connecting ONLY via iSCSI and not map anything, then probably it makes sense to enable caching.

RAID5 is safe enough in my opinion. With hot spare, this will ensure automated replacement when the time comes. Otherwise, you can enable RAID6 and avoid rushed rebuilding in the future.

You do not need 10gbe router, you can connect directly. The 1GbE LAN will connect to gain the internet.

About the file access. Each user can have their data protected with no access to other people's data.

I hope this helps.