Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buying QNAP for a 4K editors

Hello, I have been watching your videos for a while and wanted to get you view on a request I was given.

A group of video editors I know have asked for a centralised storage for video files that they edit. A summary of the requirements is:

All windows users
5 x Dedicated video editing workstations with 10GB networking will need to access at the same time.
Want to be able to back it up the data off site
Remote access - they have a VPN already so that’s taken care of
They said SSD Caching, but I am not sure. I am thinking QNAP Qteir is better for them.

My question to you is what do you suggest really?

My suggestion is TVS-h1288X-W1250-16G with a qtier storage pool set up for SSD's as primary working area, and HDD for raw storage of older "colder" data (running weekly data re shuffle). All connect via 10gb switch of course. The 8 bays might seem a lot but they are thinking quite short term and don't want them to sting them self by running out a space to fast. For back up I am thinking 2 options. Buy a cheap QNAP and replicate there locally or have a cloud replication but they only have 200/200 internet.

Really keen to get your view on it

Thanks
Yes, TVS-h1288X is very popular choice among video editors. You get 10gbe ports and also an option for Thunderbolt if someone need a slightly faster connection.
Regarding a setup. Qtier might take some time to move data to a correct media type.
Caching will have instant access to read, and write data.
But I would personally go for an independent NVMe storage pool/volume where all live editing is done. Then finished projects can be moved to HDD pool.

I hope this helps.