Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS1522+ vs TS-664

For the moment I use my old PC working as a TrueNAS server. My needs: backup (I use Acronis) for total 4-6 TB of data, VPN server, Gitlab CE. For tests I've installed NextCloud and Jenkins. So - nothing special. However I'm working as a developer (desktop applications) and maybe I'll use it for VMs - for the moment I work with VMware Workstation Pro. But the main problem is I'm also a composer and work with really large audio libraries. Now my PC has NVMe drive for a system, and 7 TB of audio libraries on 5 SSD drives. Because audio libraries are working with streaming technology they need fast access time to many small files and good transfer rate. So the question is: if any of NAS solutions is good enough for audio libraries. Streaming one single file (like in video) is not a problem, but reading many streams with small audio us crucial. I'm not sure if DS155+ from Synology or new TS664 from Qnap are fast enough when used in RAID5 and standard HDDs or even SSDs for such purposes. I'm gonna change my PC to a new one with 2.5 Gb ethernet or even 10 Gb if required but I'm not sure about these two NAS servers 664/1522+. Could you compare them when used for reading a lot of small files?

Messages In This Thread
DS1522+ vs TS-664 - by ENQUIRIES - 10-29-2022, 10:30 PM
RE: DS1522+ vs TS-664 - by ed - 10-31-2022, 02:31 PM