Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3622xs+ storage expansion- slow RAID rebuild

Hi Robbie,

as always, love the show.

Recently I upgraded from the 1821+ to the 3622xs+.  I got a great deal buying the unit new on ebay for $2,200 so I couldn't resist at that price point.

I was using (7) 16 TB Seagate EXOS drives in a RAID 5 array and added (2) more 16 TB Seagate EXOS drives for additional capacity and for conversion to RAID 6 to protect against 2 failed drives.  Essentially I added 1 drive for expansion and 1 drive for redundancy.

The question I have is this.  I am currently running the RAID conversion and expansion processes and it looks like it is going to take 4-5 days.  Is the unit actually picking up and laying down each file one at a time since it has to create a second set of parity data and the stripes and block sizes will have changed since I am both expanding the volume pool and converting the RAID from RAID 5 to RAID 6.

THanks,
James.
Yes, during the rebuild system will chisel all unnecessary zeros on the drive. Synology promised to stop doing this and improve rebuild speeds, but it takes a decade for Synology to deliver any of their promises. But one day Wink In meantime, you can choose to allocate all resources to speed up the process.
Open Storage Manager /Storage Pool/Configurations and select the option to run rebuild Faster. This will slow down the system though.

I hope this helps.