Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS-Upgrade

Dear NAS compares-team,

I found your website via your great youtube channel which I think does a phenomenal job on explaining everything around NAS which is the reason I wanted to ask you my question.

Since I moved into my own house I have a 19" rack in my cellar where all network cables go together and are patched into a 24 port 1GBit switch. In this rack my router also finds its place as well as a Synology DS216play. Unfortunately I messed up back in the days when I bought it by setting up a Raid 0 configuration with two 2TB drives which are now 70 % full and one drive starts getting sector errors. With this setup it's impossible for me to just switch drives and be good to go. Since I want to have more bays to be prepared for future events and only a two bay system can be installed in the rack due to space problem I thought of getting a RS based synology station into this rack with new drives, backing up everything from the old station and selling it to a decent price.

Yet I am still confused which way to go since the only rack based systems of the current lineup fitting in my rack would be the RS422+ or the RS1221+ due to its shortened form factor.
As for my use case I currently have all my music, videos (most of them ripped DVDs but more on that later), pictures and data (disk images of old computer games and from GOG) and backup data from MacBooks etc.. Since your videos showed that the processor in a RS422+ isn't quite suitable for media streaming I hesitate in buying it and I thought the RS1221+ is just overkill and way too expensive for my use case. If I'm not mistaken the DS1522+ is more upgradeable but has more or less the same processor and therefore the same problem with media streaming I am also uncertain on whether this device would be a good choice. The only device I saw fiting my needs was the DS920+ which is of course a bit old and I wanted to check at least what was on synologys event on the 27th of October. My problem with the DS920+ besides not being the latest device is the form factor which could cause space problems in my rack and I therefore thought of the RS422+ again. To what degree is the media usage still viable on this rack and when should I consider of rather getting a different device? Maybe I have another chance of moving my data from the current device to just a 8TB HDD and wait for a suitable NAS in the future?
I do hope my question is worth your time and you can help me finding a suitable solution.

Best regards from Germany
Ulrich Schlecht
If you use your existing ds216play with no problems, then RS422+ will work just fine too. New ds923+ will have the same Ryzen processor inside.
This CPU is OK for local streaming if you have compatible TVs. Remote streaming would not be supported. You would achieve better results with Qnap ts-453du or ts-453bu thanks to Celeron +GPU. Otherwise, all of these NAS will do anything else besides multimedia (which is the toughest task for a NAS).

I hope this helps.