Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

which storage for music production ?

Hello !

Thanks for your very clear and useful videos !
Sorry for my poor english.

My config :
Motherboard : Asus z690 Hero
CPU : i5-12600K
Fan : Be quiet Dark pro 4 (I dont feel confortable with watercooling)
RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws S5 Black - 64 Go - DDR5 5600 MHz - CL30
GPU : Asus TUF GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Case : Cooler master Cosmos C700P black
Alim : Be Quiet Dark Power 12 1000W
Dual boot with windows 11 : one system with internet, one system without (for music)
I'm coming from windows 7 (cubase for music)

I understand that for my music system (windows 11 without internet), I need 1 drive for windows 11 and programs and 1 or 2 drives for samples and I'm confused about the right choices.

1/for windows 11 system I'm thinking about M2 nvme, and it seems that, regarding M2 nvme, random read 4kB measurement is a very important factor for music. But all the recent good M2 seem good, so WD sn850x ? Sn850 ? Kingston kc3000 ? New Samsung 990 pro ? Other ? (I fell reluctant about Seagate after two Seagate HD 3,5 died suddenly). Which M2 for system oriented music ?

2/I use several very big sample libraries and I need 2 x 4To storage for them. For that purpose, 2,5 ssd are way better than 3,5 hd. I have 1 SanDisk SDSSDH3 4T00 and I need another ssd 2,5 of 4To : maybe the Samsung SSD 870 EVO could be better ? Or another Sandisk ? Or there is no significant difference ?

3/But...
In some youtube videos, I heard that the disk with the samples might be the more efficient, so would it be better to choose M2. I'm confused about it. Do nvme make a real difference for sample storage ? 2 x 4To nvme involve very heavy cost ! What is your point of view about it ?

I hope there is not some gigantic newbie mistake in my configuration !

Thank's for your time and advice.
Best regards,
Francis

Yes, when working with small files, it is important to get very responsive storage media. You can achieve this with RAID1/RAID10 using SATA SSD. Or if you for NVME you can achieve this without a RAID. The best NVME out there is Samsung 990 PRO. You can have a look at the performance tests here https://www.storagereview.com/review/sam...review-2tb
Firecuda 530 is the other market leader. https://amzn.to/3SAmzcI
Things to look at are IOPS for read/write and overall speed and latency.