Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

what is the best Synology NAS for me?

hello,
I follow your videos and web about the SYNOLOGY NAS, which is one of the reasons that helped me decide to go for their NAS system.
I have a number of questions that I would love for your answer and help with:
Usage: backup of photos and video files (not 4K) and office possibility to edit photo/video editing from the NAS
Budget: 5000 NIS (1200GBP)
Volume: 16TB in RAID5 configuration.

I'm not an IT person, so I thought I'd go for an off-the-shelf product that lets me create a RAID5 NAS for backing up materials and working on them. and will allow the most convenient and clear definitions for the common man.
After some market research, I'm thinking of taking three 8TB HDDs (WD80EFZZ) costs in Israel, 3000NIL - 754GBP (for three units).
And I'm debating about the NAS itself between:
DS420J (230NIS - 578GBP)
DS420+ (1400NIS - 352GBP)
DS920+ (2870NIS - 721GBP)

What do you think is the best NAS for my needs?
In addition, are there differences in the built-in software of the NAS between versions, and the APP that can be run on them?

Thanks in advance,
Amir
Yes, Synology is a very user-friendly NAS option.
Here is the main difference between these models:

DS420J (1-2 tasks at the time.) Simple file server and Folder sync and basic backup.
DS420+ - good NAS for home. Come with a full range of backup functions compared to 420j. It has a much faster processor that allows much more apps to run at the same time.
DS920+ - very similar to ds420+, but it has two extra CPU cores. This allows you to run a few extra things like Virtual machines, docker etc. It also can be expanded to 9 drives later on.

I hope this helps.